Please register now so you are approved to bid when auction starts.
Bids do not include VAT, buyer's premium or delivery.
Clicking the confirm button is legally binding obligation to buy and pay for the lot should your bid be successful.
We have noticed that your maximum bid is higher or equal to the buy it now price for this lot.
Would you like to discard your maximum bid and proceed with the buy it now option?
A GENTLEMAN'S 18K SOLID YELLOW GOLD ROLEX OYSTER PERPETUAL DAY DATE WRIST WATCH
CIRCA 1974, REF. 1803 WITH "CAPPUCCINO" DIAL
Movement: 26J, automatic chronometer, cal. 1556, signed Montres Rolex S.A., numbered.
Case: Diameter approx. 36mm, Oyster case, signed Montres Rolex S.A., numbered 3,6xx,xxx, 18k hallmarks, fluted bezel, Rolex crown.
Strap: Rolex leather strap & gold plated pin buckle.
Dial: Original dial in good condition, showing some signs of age.
Movement: Running at present.
Case: In very good condition, with some small scratches due to general use.
Strap/Bracelet: In fair condition.
The timekeeping and accuracy of this watch has not been tested, therefore cannot be guaranteed.
Watches of Knightsbridge Auctioneers carries on business with bidders, buyers, sellers and consignors and all those present in the auction room prior to or in connection with a sale on the following General Conditions and on such other terms, conditions and notices as may be set out or referred to herein.
In these Conditions :
a. “WoKb” means Watches of Knightsbridge Ltd Auctioneers, 64 Knightsbridge, London, SW1X 7JF.
a. "auctioneer" means Watches of Knightsbridge or its authorised auctioneer, as appropriate;
b. "deliberate forgery" means an imitation made with the intention of deceiving as to authorship, origin, date, age, period, culture or source but which is unequivocally described in the catalogue as being the work of a particular creator and which at the date of the sale had a value materially less than it would have had if it had been in accordance with the description;
c. "hammer price" means the level of bidding reached (at or above any reserve) when the auctioneer brings down the hammer;
d. "terms of consignment" means the stipulated terms and rates of commission on which Watches of Knightsbridge accepts instructions from sellers or their agents
e. "total amount due" means the hammer price in respect of the lot sold together with any premium, Value Added Tax chargeable and any additional charges payable by a defaulting purchaser under these Conditions;
f. "sale proceeds" means the net amount due to the seller, being the hammer price of the lot sold less commission at the stated rate, Value Added Tax chargeable and any other amounts due to Watches of Knightsbridge by the seller in whatever capacity and however arising;
g. "stated rate" means Watches of Knightsbridge’s published rates of commission for the time being and Value Added Tax thereon.
PART I - CONDITIONS MAINLY AFFECTING BIDDERS AND BUYERS
2. THE BUYER
a. Bidders are required to register their particulars and satisfy WoKb’s security arrangements before entering the auction room to view or bid. The highest such bidder shall be the buyer at the hammer price and any dispute about a bid shall be settled at the auctioneer's absolute discretion. Bidders shall be deemed to act as principals unless there is in force a written acknowledgment by WoKb that a bidder is acting as an agent for a named principal. Once made, no bid may be withdrawn.
b. The right of WoKb to bid on behalf of the seller is expressly reserved.
3. MINIMUM INCREMENT
The auctioneer shall have the right to refuse any bid which does not exceed the previous bid by at least 10% or by such greater proportion as the auctioneer shall in his absolute discretion direct.
4. THE PURCHASE PRICE
a. The buyer shall pay the hammer price together with a premium thereon of 20% plus VAT (24% including VAT), the said premium not being negotiable and payable by ALL buyers. The seller authorises WoKb to retain beneficially the premium payable by buyers.
b. There will be no additional online bidding fee for lots purchased directly through watchesofknightsbridge.com.
c. Lots purchased online through thesaleroom.com will attract an additional charge for this service in the sum of 5% plus VAT (6% including VAT) of the hammer price including VAT.
5. VALUE ADDED TAX
Value Added Tax on the hammer price is imposed on all items affixed with an asterisk thus - *. Value Added Tax is charged at the rate prevailing by law at the date of sale.
a. Immediately a lot is sold buyers shall:
(1) give to WoKb their names and addresses and, if requested proof of identity, and
(2) pay to WoKb the total amount due.
b. WoKb may, at its absolute discretion, agree credit terms with the buyer before an auction under which the buyer will be entitled to take possession of lots up to an agreed value in advance of payment by a stipulated future date of the total amount due. Cheques must clear into the bank account of WoKb until the release of the items. Any permitted payment by credit card or foreign card shall carry an extra charge to the buyer of such percentage of the total amount due as is displayed on the premises.
c. Any payments by a buyer to WoKb may be applied by WoKb towards any sums owing from that buyer to WoKb on any account whatever without regard to any directions of the buyer or his agent, whether express or implied.
7. TITLE AND COLLECTION OF PURCHASES
a. The ownership of any lots purchased shall not pass to the relevant buyer until they have made payment in full to WoKb of the total amount due.
b. Buyers shall at their own risk and expense take away any lots that they have purchased and (subject to 6b) paid for not later than 2 working days following the day of the auction after which they shall be responsible for any removal, storage and insurance charges.
c. No purchase can be claimed or removed until it has been paid for (or the provisions of clause 6b satisfied).
8. REMEDIES FOR NON-PAYMENT OR FAILURE TO COLLECT PURCHASES
If any lot is not paid for in full and taken away in accordance with these Conditions, or if there is any other breach of these Conditions, WoKb as agent for the seller shall at its absolute discretion and without prejudice to any other rights it may have, be entitled to exercise all or any of the following rights and remedies:
a. to proceed against the buyer for damages for breach of contract;
b. to rescind the sale of that lot and/or any other lots sold by WoKb to the defaulting buyer;
c. to re-sell the lot (by auction or private treaty) in which case the defaulting buyer shall be responsible for any resulting deficiency in the total amount due (after crediting any part payment and adding any resale costs). Any surplus so arising shall belong to the seller;
d. to remove, store and insure the lot at the expense of the defaulting buyer and, in the case of storage, either at WoKb ‘s premises or elsewhere;
e. to charge interest at a rate not exceeding 1.5% per month on the total amount due to the extent it remains unpaid for more than 7 working days after the sale;
f. to retain that or any other lot sold to the defaulting buyer until that buyer pays the total amount due;
g. to reject or ignore bids from the defaulting buyer at future auctions or to impose conditions before any such bids shall be accepted;
h. to apply any proceeds of sale of other lots due or in future becoming due to the defaulting buyer towards the settlement of the total amount due and to exercise a lien on any of the buyer's property in WoKb’s possession for any purpose.
9. THIRD PARTY LIABILITY
All members of the public on the Auctioneer's premises are there at their own risk and must note the lay-out of the accommodation and security arrangements. Accordingly WoKb shall incur no liability for death or personal injury (except as required by law) or for the safety of the property of persons visiting prior to or at a sale.
10. COMMISSION BIDS
Whilst prospective buyers are strongly advised to attend the auction and are always responsible for any decision to bid for a particular lot and shall be assumed to have carefully inspected and satisfied themselves as to its condition, WoKb will if so instructed clearly and in writing execute bids on their behalf. Neither WoKb nor its employees or agents shall be responsible for any neglect or default in doing or failing to do so. Where two or more commission bids at the same level are recorded WoKb reserves the right in its absolute discretion to prefer the first bid so made.
PART II - CONDITIONS MAINLY AFFECTING SELLERS
11. WARRANTY OF TITLE AND AVAILABILITY
The seller warrants to WoKb and the buyer that the seller is the true owner of the property consigned or is properly authorised by the true owner to consign it for sale and is able to transfer good and marketable title to the property free from any third party claims.
a. The seller shall be entitled to place prior to the auction a reserve on any lot consigned, being the minimum hammer price at which that lot may be sold. Reserves must be reasonable and WoKb may decline to offer goods which in WoKb’s opinion would be subject to an unreasonably high reserve (in which case goods carry the storage and insurance charges stipulated in the terms of consignment).
b. A reserve once set cannot be changed except with WoKb’s consent.
c. Where a reserve has been placed only WoKb may bid on behalf of the seller.
13. AUTHORITY TO DEDUCT COMMISSION AND EXPENSES AND RETAIN PREMIUM
a. The seller authorises WoKb to deduct commission at the stated rate and all expenses incurred for the buyer's account from the hammer price and acknowledges Watches of WoKb right to retain beneficially the premium paid by the buyer in accordance with these Conditions.
b. The seller authorises WoKb in their discretion to negotiate a sale by private treaty in the case of lots unsold at auction, in which case the same charges will be payable as if such lots had been sold at auction.
WoKb do not themselves undertake the collection of goods but may, as the seller's agent, instruct a contractor. WoKb accepts no liability for the actions of such contractor who contracts with the seller direct.
a. WoKb holds all goods on their premises and in their custody covered against the risks of fire, burglary and water damage.
b.The amount reimbursed to the seller will be the middle estimate of any lot’s stated on the consignment form.
WoKb acts as agent only and disclaims any liability for default by the buyer or for paying out the seller before receiving payment by the buyer.
17. UNSOLD ITEMS
Unsold items will not incur any fee.
18. WITHDRAWAL OF PROPERTY
a. If the seller withdraws any property from the sale without after their written agreement to sell it, WoKb may charge the seller 50% of the lower estimate.
b. WoKb may withdraw any property from the sale without liability if WoKb reasonably believes that the authenticity or attribution is questionable.
PART III GENERAL CONDITIONS.
19. WoKb act as agent for the seller and as such is not responsible for default by the seller or the buyer. The seller acknowledges that lots are sold subject to the stipulations of these Conditions in their entirety and on the terms of consignment as notified to consignors at the time of the entry of the lot.
20. Subject to the next following Condition concerning deliberate forgeries, any representation or statement by WoKb in any catalogue as to authorship, genuineness, origin, date, age, provenance, condition or estimated selling price is a statement of opinion only. Prospective buyers are given ample opportunities to view and inspect before any sale and prospective buyers must satisfy themselves as to all such matters. Neither WoKb or its employees or agents nor the seller accept liability for the correctness of such opinions and all conditions and warranties, express, implied or statutory are hereby excluded.
21. Any lot which proves to be a deliberate forgery (as defined) may be returned to WoKb by the buyer within 14 days of the auction provided it is in the same condition as when bought, and is accompanied by particulars identifying it from the relevant catalogue description and a written statement of defects. If WoKb is satisfied from the evidence presented that the lot is a deliberate forgery WoKb shall refund the money paid by the buyer for the lot (but not the amount of any consequential loss, damages, expenses or interest) provided that (1) if the catalogue description reflected the accepted view of scholars and experts as at the date of sale or (2) the buyer personally is not able to transfer a good and marketable title to WoKb, the buyer shall have no rights under this condition.
22. WoKb shall have the right, at its discretion, to refuse admission to its premises or attendance at its auctions by any person.
23. Any indemnity under these Conditions shall extend to all actions, costs, expenses, claims and demands whatsoever suffered or incurred by the person entitled to the benefit of it and WoKb declares itself to be a trustee of the benefit of every such indemnity so far as it is expressed to be for the benefit of its employees and agents.
24. Any notice to any buyer, seller, bidder or viewer may be given by first class mail in which case it shall be deemed to have been received by the addressee 48 hours after posting.
25. Special terms may be used in catalogue descriptions in which case they must be interpreted in accordance with any glossary appearing at the commencement of the catalogue.
26. Any indulgence extended to buyers or sellers by WoKb notwithstanding the strict terms of these Conditions or the terms of consignment shall affect the position at the relevant time only and in respect of that particular concession only; in all other respects these Conditions shall be construed as having full force and effect.
27. Data Protection - WoKb will use information supplied by Buyers and Sellers or otherwise obtained lawfully by WoKb for the provision of auction related services, client administration, marketing and as otherwise required by law. By agreeing to these Conditions of Business, the Buyer or Seller agrees to the processing of their personal information and to the disclosure of such information to third parties world-wide for the purposes outlined above.
28. English law applies to the interpretation of these Conditions.
We must be informed if anyone with disabilities wishes to attend the auction or viewing days so that the required arrangements can be made.
Google Chrome is the recommended browser for online bidding.
First time bidders may be asked to supply a copy of ID before being approved to bid online.
Every sale will be subject to a buyer’s premium added to the hammer price.
VAT can be excluded or refunded on items shipped or taken outside of the EU.
All estimates are excluding premium.
Condition Report Grading (Mint, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor).
Dials are only believed to be original if stated in the condition report. We do not speculate on the originality of the hands, nor the originality of the luminous material on the dials & hands, nor the originality of polishing of cases.
All descriptions and condition reports are solely our own opinion and we can supply additional high resolution images of any lots to help bidders satisfy themselves prior to bidding.
The Art Loss Register is the world’s largest private database of lost and stolen art, antiques, watches and collectables. The ALR provides Watches of Knightsbridge with a due diligence service for every catalogue. This involves searching all items with an upper estimate value of £1,000 and above against its watch database (www.thewatchregister.com) to determine whether any item has been reported stolen or subject to claim.
We do not automatically charge the card registered online (unless payment has not been made within 2 weeks of the auction date), therefore successful bidders must settle invoices via the following methods:
Debit or credit card - This can be done at our premises during/post auction or online through the Payment section of our website. We do not take card payments over the telephone. We accept Mastercard, Visa & AMEX (There is no surcharge for card payments).
Bank transfer - If transferring from a foreign currency, the amount we receive must be the total due in pounds sterling (after currency conversion and the deduction of any bank charges).
Sterling cash - We accept cash payments up to £8,000.
Sterling cheque - Made payable to ‘Watches of Knightsbridge Ltd.’. It will be necessary to allow at least six working days for the cheque to clear before collecting or shipping your purchases.