You need to be registered and approved to bid at this auction.Watch the auction
- Postage within the UK will be made by Royal Mail Special Delivery (next day) - charged at £15 per parcel insured up to £10,000.
- Postage costs will automatically be added to your invoice online and can be removed if you intend to collect the item(s).
- Postage of larger items such as clocks may cost more, please contact for quotes.
- Shipping will be made by Royal Mail International Signed For - charged at £20 per parcel insured up to £2,000.
- Higher value items can be sent via FedEx Express fully insured by Malca-Amit (costs depend on value and country, contact us for a quote).
- We do not offer shipping to Mainland China and Russia due to restrictions.
- Shipping of larger items such as clocks may cost more, please contact for quotes.
In these Conditions :
a. “WoKb” means Watches of Knightsbridge Ltd Auctioneers, 64 Knightsbridge, London, SW1X 7JF.
a. "auctioneer" means Watches of Knightsbridge or its authorised auctioneer, as appropriate;
b. "deliberate forgery" means an imitation made with the intention of deceiving as to authorship, origin, date, age, period, culture or source but which is unequivocally described in the catalogue as being the work of a particular creator and which at the date of the sale had a value materially less than it would have had if it had been in accordance with the description;
c. "hammer price" means the level of bidding reached (at or above any reserve) when the auctioneer brings down the hammer;
d. "terms of consignment" means the stipulated terms and rates of commission on which Watches of Knightsbridge accepts instructions from sellers or their agents
e. "total amount due" means the hammer price in respect of the lot sold together with any premium, Value Added Tax chargeable and any additional charges payable by a defaulting purchaser under these Conditions;
f. "sale proceeds" means the net amount due to the seller, being the hammer price of the lot sold less commission at the stated rate, Value Added Tax chargeable and any other amounts due to Watches of Knightsbridge by the seller in whatever capacity and however arising;
g. "stated rate" means Watches of Knightsbridge’s published rates of commission for the time being and Value Added Tax thereon.
PART I - CONDITIONS MAINLY AFFECTING BIDDERS AND BUYERS
2. THE BUYER
a. Bidders are required to register their particulars and satisfy WoKb’s security arrangements before entering the auction room to view or bid. The highest such bidder shall be the buyer at the hammer price and any dispute about a bid shall be settled at the auctioneer's absolute discretion. Bidders shall be deemed to act as principals unless there is in force a written acknowledgment by WoKb that a bidder is acting as an agent for a named principal. Once made, no bid may be withdrawn.
b. The right of WoKb to bid on behalf of the seller is expressly reserved.
3. MINIMUM INCREMENT
The auctioneer shall have the right to refuse any bid which does not exceed the previous bid by at least 10% or by such greater proportion as the auctioneer shall in his absolute discretion direct.
4. THE PURCHASE PRICE
a. The buyer shall pay the hammer price together with a premium thereon of 18% plus VAT (or such other amount as shall be published by WoKb), the said premium not being negotiable and payable by ALL buyers. The seller authorises WoKb to retain beneficially the premium payable by buyers.
b. Lots purchased online with www.the-saleroom.com will attract an additional charge for this service in the sum of 3.6% of the hammer price including VAT.
5. VALUE ADDED TAX
Value Added Tax on the hammer price is imposed on all items affixed with an asterisk thus - *. Value Added Tax is charged at the rate prevailing by law at the date of sale.
a. Immediately a lot is sold buyers shall:
(1) give to WoKb their names and addresses and, if requested proof of identity, and
(2) pay to WoKb the total amount due.
b. WoKb may, at its absolute discretion, agree credit terms with the buyer before an auction under which the buyer will be entitled to take possession of lots up to an agreed value in advance of payment by a stipulated future date of the total amount due. Cheques must clear into the bank account of WoKb until the release of the items. Any permitted payment by credit card or foreign card shall carry an extra charge to the buyer of such percentage of the total amount due as is displayed on the premises. If transferring from a foreign currency, WoKb must receive the total amount due in pounds sterling after currency conversion and the deduction of any bank charges.
c. Any payments by a buyer to WoKb may be applied by WoKb towards any sums owing from that buyer to WoKb on any account whatever without regard to any directions of the buyer or his agent, whether express or implied.
7. TITLE AND COLLECTION OF PURCHASES
a. The ownership of any lots purchased shall not pass to the relevant buyer until they have made payment in full to WoKb of the total amount due.
b. Buyers shall at their own risk and expense take away any lots that they have purchased.
c. No purchase can be claimed or removed until it has been paid for (or the provisions of clause 6b satisfied).
d. Postage and shipping charges will be added onto invoices unless WoKb are otherwise informed.
8. REMEDIES FOR NON-PAYMENT OR FAILURE TO COLLECT PURCHASES
21 days after an auction if any lot has not been paid for in full and taken away in accordance with these Conditions, or if there is any other breach of these Conditions, WoKb as agent for the seller shall at its absolute discretion and without prejudice to any other rights it may have, be entitled to exercise all or any of the following rights and remedies:
a. to proceed against the buyer for damages for breach of contract;
b. to rescind the sale of that lot and/or any other lots sold by WoKb to the defaulting buyer;
c. to re-sell the lot (by auction or private treaty) in which case the defaulting buyer shall be responsible for any resulting deficiency in the total amount due (after crediting any part payment and adding any resale costs). Any surplus so arising shall belong to the seller;
d. to remove, store and insure the lot at the expense of the defaulting buyer and, in the case of storage, either at WoKb ‘s premises or elsewhere;
e. to charge interest at a rate not exceeding 1.5% per month on the total amount due to the extent it remains unpaid for more than 7 working days after the sale;
f. to retain that or any other lot sold to the defaulting buyer until that buyer pays the total amount due;
g. to reject or ignore bids from the defaulting buyer at future auctions or to impose conditions before any such bids shall be accepted;
h. to apply any proceeds of sale of other lots due or in future becoming due to the defaulting buyer towards the settlement of the total amount due and to exercise a lien on any of the buyer's property in WoKb’s possession for any purpose.
i. charge the hammer price plus buyers premium and internet charges to the card registered on the-saleroom.com or details given to WoKb.
9. THIRD PARTY LIABILITY
All members of the public on the Auctioneer's premises are there at their own risk and must note the lay-out of the accommodation and security arrangements. Accordingly WoKb shall incur no liability for death or personal injury (except as required by law) or for the safety of the property of persons visiting prior to or at a sale.
10. COMMISSION BIDS
Whilst prospective buyers are strongly advised to attend the auction and are always responsible for any decision to bid for a particular lot and shall be assumed to have carefully inspected and satisfied themselves as to its condition, WoKb will if so instructed clearly and in writing execute bids on their behalf. Neither WoKb nor its employees or agents shall be responsible for any neglect or default in doing or failing to do so. Where two or more commission bids at the same level are recorded WoKb reserves the right in its absolute discretion to prefer the first bid so made.
PART II - CONDITIONS MAINLY AFFECTING SELLERS
11. WARRANTY OF TITLE AND AVAILABILITY
The seller warrants to WoKb and the buyer that the seller is the true owner of the property consigned or is properly authorised by the true owner to consign it for sale and is able to transfer good and marketable title to the property free from any third party claims.
a. The seller shall be entitled to place prior to the auction a reserve on any lot consigned, being the minimum hammer price at which that lot may be sold. Reserves must be reasonable and WoKb may decline to offer goods which in WoKb’s opinion would be subject to an unreasonably high reserve (in which case goods carry the storage and insurance charges stipulated in the terms of consignment).
b. A reserve once set cannot be changed except with WoKb’s consent.
c. Where a reserve has been placed only WoKb may bid on behalf of the seller.
13. AUTHORITY TO DEDUCT COMMISSION AND EXPENSES AND RETAIN PREMIUM
a. The seller authorises WoKb to deduct commission at the stated rate and all expenses incurred for the buyer's account from the hammer price and acknowledges Watches of WoKb right to retain beneficially the premium paid by the buyer in accordance with these Conditions.
b. The seller authorises WoKb in their discretion to negotiate a sale by private treaty in the case of lots unsold at auction, in which case the same charges will be payable as if such lots had been sold at auction.
WoKb do not themselves undertake the collection of goods but may, as the seller's agent, instruct a contractor. WoKb accepts no liability for the actions of such contractor who contracts with the seller direct.
a. WoKb holds all goods on their premises and in their custody covered against the risks of fire, burglary and water damage.
b. The amount reimbursed to the seller will be the sum of the lower estimate of any lot’s stated on the consignment form minus the agreed seller's commission.
WoKb acts as agent only and disclaims any liability for default by the buyer or for paying out the seller before receiving payment by the buyer.
17. UNSOLD ITEMS
Unsold items will not incur a fee but may be liable to postage costs if necessary.
18. WITHDRAWAL OF PROPERTY
a. If the seller withdraws any property from the sale after their written agreement to sell it, WoKb may charge the seller 50% of the lower estimate.
b. WoKb may withdraw any property from the sale without liability if WoKb reasonably believes that the authenticity or attribution is questionable.
PART III GENERAL CONDITIONS.
19. WoKb act as agent for the seller and as such is not responsible for default by the seller or the buyer. The seller acknowledges that lots are sold subject to the stipulations of these Conditions in their entirety and on the terms of consignment as notified to consignors at the time of the entry of the lot.
20. Subject to the next following Condition concerning deliberate forgeries, any representation or statement by WoKb in any catalogue as to authorship, genuineness, origin, date, age, provenance, condition or estimated selling price is a statement of opinion only. Prospective buyers are given ample opportunities to view and inspect before any sale and prospective buyers must satisfy themselves as to all such matters. Neither WoKb or its employees or agents nor the seller accept liability for the correctness of such opinions and all conditions and warranties, express, implied or statutory are hereby excluded.
21. Any lot which proves to be a deliberate forgery (as defined) may be returned to WoKb by the buyer within 21 days of the auction provided it is in the same condition as when bought, and is accompanied by particulars identifying it from the relevant catalogue description and a written statement of defects. If WoKb is satisfied from the evidence presented that the lot is a deliberate forgery WoKb shall refund the money paid by the buyer for the lot (but not the amount of any consequential loss, damages, expenses or interest) provided that (1) if the catalogue description reflected the accepted view of scholars and experts as at the date of sale or (2) the buyer personally is not able to transfer a good and marketable title to WoKb, the buyer shall have no rights under this condition.
22. WoKb shall have the right, at its discretion, to refuse admission to its premises or attendance at its auctions by any person.
23. Any indemnity under these Conditions shall extend to all actions, costs, expenses, claims and demands whatsoever suffered or incurred by the person entitled to the benefit of it and WoKb declares itself to be a trustee of the benefit of every such indemnity so far as it is expressed to be for the benefit of its employees and agents.
24. Any notice to any buyer, seller, bidder or viewer may be given by first class mail in which case it shall be deemed to have been received by the addressee 48 hours after posting.
25. Special terms may be used in catalogue descriptions in which case they must be interpreted in accordance with any glossary appearing at the commencement of the catalogue.
26. Any indulgence extended to buyers or sellers by WoKb notwithstanding the strict terms of these Conditions or the terms of consignment shall affect the position at the relevant time only and in respect of that particular concession only; in all other respects these Conditions shall be construed as having full force and effect.
27. Data Protection - WoKb will use information supplied by Buyers and Sellers or otherwise obtained lawfully by WoKb for the provision of auction related services, client administration, marketing and as otherwise required by law. By agreeing to these Conditions of Business, the Buyer or Seller agrees to the processing of their personal information and to the disclosure of such information to third parties world-wide for the purposes outlined above.
28. WoKb must be informed if anyone with disabilities wishes to attend the auction or viewing days so that the required arrangements can be made.
29. English law applies to the interpretation of these Conditions.
NOTICE TO BIDDERS
First time bidders may be asked to supply a copy of ID before being approved to bid online.
Every sale will be subject to a buyer’s premium of 18% + VAT (21.6 % inclusive) on the hammer price.
Bidding online will hold an additional 3.6% premium.
VAT can be excluded or refunded on items shipped to outside of the EC.
All estimates are excluding premium.
All descriptions and condition reports are solely our own opinion and made by our experts.
Condition Report Grading (Mint, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor).
Dials are only believed to be original (not refinished) if stated.
Please contact us if you would like additional images of lots.
We aim to give buyers the most accurate information before purchase and pride ourselves on this.
We only consign watches of a quality and standard that we are happy with.
The ALR (The Art Loss Register) provide Watches of Knightsbridge with a due diligence service for every catalogue searching their database to discover whether an item has been registered as missing, fake or stolen. All lots with a higher estimate of £1000 and above are checked.
We must be informed if anyone with disabilities wishes to attend the auction or viewing days so that the required arrangements can be made.
We do not automatically charge the card registered online, therefore successful bidders must settle invoices via the following methods:
Streamline Debit and Credit card processing (chip & pin):
This can be done at the sale after the auction. There is no additional charge for purchases made with Debit cards unless drawn on an overseas bank or deferred debit cards which will be subject to a 2% surcharge.
Please note there is also a 2% surcharge when payments are made using credit cards and a 1.9% surcharge for American Express. It may be advisable to notify your card provider of your intended purchase in advance to reduce delays caused by us having to seek authority when you come to pay.
Online through our website & SagePay:
Successful bidders will be sent an email on Sunday & Monday following the auction with login details to our website where invoices can be viewed & settled online. To process the payment you will be taken through steps from our secure payment gateway provider SagePay.
Contact us for bank details. If transferring from a foreign currency, the amount we receive must be the total due in pounds sterling (after currency conversion and the deduction of any bank charges).
Sterling cash up to any amount (for amounts over £10,000 two forms of ID will be required).
Made payable to ‘Watches of Knightsbridge Ltd.’. It will be necessary to allow at least six working days for the cheque to clear before collecting or shipping of your purchases.
Watches of Knightsbridge will charge the card registered online if payment hasn’t been received or a settlement date has not been agreed 21 days post auction (card handling fees will be added if necessary). We will then hold the goods until the buyer has contacted us and have the right to request as much information before releasing the goods.
If you cannot collect your purchase(s) then we will use the following couriers:
All postage within the UK insured up to £10,000 per parcel will be made by Royal Mail (Next Day) Special Delivery – charged at £12.00.
All International shipping insured up to £2,000 per parcel will be made by Royal Mail International Signed For – charged at £15.00.
International shipping insured for over £2,000 and up to any amount will be via FedEx Express – costs depend upon value and destination (contact us for a quote).
Postage costs may vary for larger items such as clocks or large watch boxes.